What is a Theme?
The WordPress Theme is a way to Skin or Style or Design the web blog. The skin of the web blog implies to the design of the blog. The theme not only provides look and presentation of the blog but it gives more control over the web blog. You can choose the most suitable theme to your blog which makes the blog look more meaningful and attractive. In the technical terms the WordPres theme is an interface between a set of files working together to define the appearance of the blog with the help of the unified designs are the template files. The template of the theme includes the set of customized files such as image files (*.jpeg, *.gif), style sheets (*.css), program files (*.php). There are different set of themes available in various categories.
Before we begin our tutorial about manually customizing the WordPress themes, make sure that you are familiar with the following necessary topics of WordPress:
- What is WordPress? (Find here what is WordPress )
- How to install WordPress on the Server? (Find here (Installing WordPress on server)
- Do you know more about what is a WordPress theme?
Let us discuss about manually installing the WordPress theme and also about activating the automatic upgrade for WordPress (for premium users) with the help of WordPress admin.
To add new themes manually using the Administration Panel
The themes can be downloaded directly to into the WordPress blog using the Admin panel.
- Log in to the WordPress Administration Panels.
- Select the Appearance option
- Choose Themes option which displays set of installed themes ready to activate.
- You can search new themes by clicking on Add New button.
The next screen displays the three main categories of the themes such as:
- Featured WordPress themes
- Popular WordPress themes
- Latest WordPress themes
You can search for a specific theme, or you can search a theme with specific features.
Based on the search, you can find a single theme or a list of themes satisfying the given criteria. In our case, we searched for the blogging theme Slipstream.
Note: To install a free WordPress theme from the WordPress.org themes directory, use WordPress admin theme search functionality.
III. If you want to select and install a specific theme then –
- Rollover mouse pointer over the image of theme-name to be chosen
- You will see the two buttons – install and preview over it
- Go ahead and click on the install button and the theme will start installing
You can also use the preview button before installing to check the appearance of the theme
WordPress will now install your theme and show you a success message. It also displays the link to activate or to display live preview.
Note: Once the theme is installed, the message of success is displayed along with activation and preview links.
The activate button successfully activates the installed WordPress theme and it changes the look of your weblog instantly. Additional settings options are needed to be used depending on the theme.
The theme upload functionality is mainly available for the WordPress blogs which are based on self-hosted WordPress.org web blogs only.
To install a theme (not as a part of WordPress Admin theme) which is downloaded from the outside sources, you need to follow the steps given below:
- From the admin panel of the WordPress dashboard,
Select the option Appearance > Themes > Add New.
- The next panel displayed will show the option “Upload” at the top of the screen to upload the theme.
- It also shows the option ‘Browse’ to navigate and choose the file to be selected.
- You can choose the file from the respective folder and click on Install option.
- The theme will get successfully installed and will be ready to activate.
Note: Always remember that the downloaded theme file is zipped file with an extension .ZIP
Installing a WordPress Theme using FTP
The other way of installing the WordPress Theme is with the help of FTP panel which is an advanced way and certainly not for the beginners.
Note: Find out more about FTP services here how to use FTP
If you are familiar with FTP setup and its panel then you can easily install FTP and setup the FTP program. We recommend using of FileZilla FTP Client Software
- After installing FTP client, you can connect to the host using FTP Server and make use of the path (/wp-content/themes/).
- Then you can simply upload the Theme-folder which you want to upload in WordPress. You should always unzip the folder before you upload a theme using FTP.
- You can go to the admin area and click on Appearance » Themes and you will find the uploaded theme in the list.
- Select the theme and bring the mouse on top of the theme and click the activate button to get the theme activated.