WordPress.com offers free hosting and lots of extra features. The features are usually basic, but a person just beginning to write blogs or hosting a website would feel that the freebies are sufficient.
However, if you are an avid blogger, or someone whose technical background is strong, moving to WordPress.org isn’t that difficult. After buying dedicated hosting and domain, you can kick start the website in a matter of minutes as the process isn’t very hard.
Here are Certain things that you will need before you switch to wordpress.org:
- Domain: Buying a domain is a must. Your website would need a domain. It is where your visitors will find your blog or website.
- Hosting: WordPress.org Recommends BlueHost, DreamHost and SiteGround hosting, but you can look to certain options, ones that you find comfortable according to the pricing.
With the above work done, you are ready to switch from a free hosting to a better, dedicated one.
Perform the following steps to move seamlessly from WordPress.com to WordPress.org:
Export Data: From your current free server, you need to export that data. This option allows the data to be converted free of cost to a readable language. This option can be easily found in your blog’s dashboard Tools >> Export.
As you export your data, you will be asked to define your approach. You can either choose a guided approach or a free one. We advise you to use a free approach as it requires less time and all your files will be optimized. All you data Like Pages, Posts, Category and other Taxonomies will be converted to an XML file and downloaded on your computer.
- Import Content to new blog: In the new Self Hosted WordPress panel, you can reinstall the backup you made in Step 1. This approach is quite easy requires very less time. The process is sam Please Navigate to Tools >> Import Option. In Import Page you will find 5 different Platforms from where you can easily Import your content but in this case we need to Select “WordPress” Only. So Please review the following Given Screenshot.
- After you Click on Install Now Option It will Show you “Run Installer” It will Look something like this
- In this Screenshot I already Gave the steps Please follow it.
- The .xml file you just downloaded needs to be uploaded. Usually there is a limit to the upload capacity by your Hosting Provider. If there is a limit, split your file by using WXR file Splitter. You Can Download this Application from Its Author’s Site. Please Click Here to Download the Application
- The Main Usage of this Application is this will Split the .xml files in to small sizes so that your Host will allow it to Upload/Import it easily. It Looks something Like following Given Screenshots.
- Once you Download the Above App in your PC, Just Install it and then Run the App and Browse your WXR/XML file.
- Result will Look something like this
- Import Blogroll links– For people who love storing links, this option is a must. You can simply import all your Blogroll links. The file will first be imported using a OPML file. In .org sphere, you need to import this file.
However, there is no direct way to do this so you would have to do this with the help of a plugin. Use the link manager plugin, which will guide you through the process and help you restore links.
- Optimizing the blog and handling SEO: Suing the 301 header to reuse old SEO settings is a short way of preserving your previous website’s SEO.
However, if you want to do the new SEO from scratch, you need someone with a computer sciences background to do this for you. Also, you can buy the 301 headers at 12$ a year to preserve SEO settings.
This is comparatively a better option as your previous website’s old SEO is stored, which is now reusable. Also, using the method results in the ranking to remain unaffected.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What will happen to my WordPress.com subscribers?
WordPress.com allows the users to migrate your subscribers by Jetpack plugin. Once added and installed contact. Contact the WordPress.com theme so that they can help you to migrate all of your subscribers. This becomes an easy task and users are able to it very easily.
Is it free to transfer from WordPress.com to wordpress.org?
Yes, Absolutely. They offer migration from WordPress.com. And it’s free.
I already paid for wordpress.com, what should I do?
Yes, you can take refund from your recently purchased custom domain from WordPress.com. Just ask for it and you’ll get full refund.
Will all of my media files or images break?
No. they will not. As you go through the procedure of using import file all the images attached will be downloaded and thus link will be updated. You can also use external images plugins and rest will be taken care of.
What if my website go down, when I switch?
No, It’s not if you follow all the procedure correctly. If you’re worried we can help you in such situation with a free setup service at anytime.
Please let us know if you come across any issues on switching from WordPress.com to self hosted WordPress.org. We can have long discussions and we’re open to it. Leave some comments in comment box below.